May 15th is Bike to Work Day, and also the final day of Bike to Work Week. This morning, several Carson City coffee shops gave away free coffee to bike commuters willing to brave the weather. The Corporate Bicycle Commuter Challenge is now in its 5th day. As of Thursday evening, the Nevada Guard Rough Riders are leading the mileage category with 617.2 miles logged. The DETR Cyclepaths are leading the trips category with 86 trips made by bicycle. There’s just one more day to rack up the miles and trips, and the winners will be announced tonight at the Bike to Work Week Party at the Firkin and Fox. More stats of the challenge can be found below.
Although the weather isn’t cooperating for outdoor activities, we’re still going forward with the party! Weather permitting we’ll have the party on 3rd Street, but if it’s raining, we’ll bring the party to the deck and inside the Firkin and Fox. Carson City’s Trippin King Snakes are ready to perform for the crowd, and we have lots of great prizes to raffle off. Proceeds from the raffle will go to benefit Muscle Powered. Thanks to all the donations and volunteers, Muscle Powered has helped move the city forward to a better bikeable and walkable community.
- The party starts at 5:30 PM at the Firkin at Fox, 310 S Carson Street.
- Raffle tickets are 1 for $2, 6 for $10, and 15 for $20.
- The High Sierra Brewing Company is donating beer for the party. HSB Beer sales will go to Muscle Powered. As a bonus, you will get a raffle ticket with each beer you purchase!
- Dance to the music of the Trippin King Snakes.
- There will be helmet decorating for the kids again this year.
- Winners of the Corporate Bicycle Commuter Challenge will be announced.
The Bike Habitat has helped Muscle Powered acquire a men’s and a women’s cruiser bike. Two lucky raffle winners will take these bikes home. In addition to the bikes, we have several hundred dollars worth of merchandise and gift certificates to give away. Bike Habitat has donated cycling merchandise. We also have several gift certificates from Adele’s, Capitol Automotive, Sassafras, and Vitamin Research Products. More prizes tend to trickle in at the party as well.
Tonight’s party will conclude the official Bike Month activities. We hope everyone has had a good time, and is excited to go enjoy a fun summer of riding in the city and up on the trails! The next big biking event is Blinky Man on June 13th, only a month away!